Friday, July 30, 2010

ROM (Read only memory)

Welcome to my blog everyone. Today we will be discussing what ROM is as it pertains to your computer. Read only memory is exactly what it is for the most part. Rom Memory cannot be altered or changed, so we can say that it is not volatile memory. This means when power is not applied the contents are still stored. The function of ROM is to store information about the hardware of your computer and gives your computer instructions on how to actually start, otherwise known as booting. ROM exists in most electrical appliances and serves different purposes depending on the particular device. Well this is basically what ROM is, so I hope to see you again for my next posting where we will actually talk about what happens when your computer starts up.
Take care for now and please feel free to comment or email me.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't quite realize that's what it was... when my computer won't boot up properly and I get the blue screen of death, does that mean the problem was something that should have been in the ROM got messed up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good to have someone explain things to us in simple terms. Sometimes when you are talking to a tech. to help you they use words that seem like a foreign language. Again thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete